Circular Motion Review Problems
1. A children's carousel rotates 3 times every 2 seconds. The diameter of the carousel is 3.0 meters.
a. What is the period of motion?
2. When traveling down the road at a constant speed of 55 mph, 26.4 m/s, the tangential velocity of the wheels is also 55 mph. If a car tire is 65.0 cm in diameter, then;
a. What is the period and frequency of the spinning car tire?
3. Given that the Earth is 1.49x1011 m from the Sun. And the earth's period of motion is 365.25 days. Calculate how fast it is revolving around the Sun. Put your answer in m/s.
4. Do the same thing for the Moon: Given it is 3.8x108 m from the Earth and revolves around the Earth every 27.31 days. Put your answer in m/s.
5. Given the Earth has a mass of 5.98x1024 kg and the Moon has a mass of 7.34x1022 kg, what centripetal force is necessary to keep each in orbit.
6. A bicycle wheel of radius 0.325 m rotates at a speed of 10.0 m/s (22.4 mph).
7. The time shaft ride at King's Dominion has a radius of 5.0 m and spins with a period of 1.3 seconds (only a guess).
34. While playing "Bolo Master of the World" little Lisa was spinning a rock around her head on a string 1.32 m long. The rock travels around once every 1.43 seconds.
by Tony Wayne ...(If you are a teacher, please feel free to use these resources in your teaching.)