PHYSICS Kinematics Review Worksheet
Unit Identification: Identify the following as either, displacement, velocity, acceleration. Use the abbreviationss t, x, v, or a.
1. A baseball is thrown horizontally at 45 m/s. The ball slows down at a rate of 5 m/s2. How long is the ball in the air before coming to rest?
2. At a drag race, a jet car travels 1/4 mile in 5.2 seconds. What is the final speed of the car and its acceleration?
3. An arrow leaves a bow with a speed of 42 m/s. Its velocity is reduced to 34m/swhen it hits its target. How much distance did the arrow travel over if it were in the air for 2.4 seconds?
4. A bicyclist brakes from 21 m/s to a stop in 32.3 m.
a. What is the acceleration of the bicyclist?
b. How much time does it take for the bicyclist to stop?
c. What is the bicyclists average speed?
5. 6.0 seconds after launch, the space shuttle is 529.2 m above the ground.
a What is the space shuttle's acceleration?
b What is the space shuttle's velocity after 3.0 seconds?
c What is the space shuttle's velocity at 6.0 seconds
d What is the space shuttle's average velocity?
e How high is the space shuttle after 3.0 seconds?
6. An angry mob lynches a physics teacher after receiving their grades. They throw the physics teacher off a tall building. They throw the physics teacher nearly straight UP with an initial velocity of 20 m/s. The teacher is in the air for 8.0 seconds before landing on a stack of empty card board boxes. How high was he thrown from?
7. Melissa threw a penny straight down off the Empire State building. The building is 354 m tall. If Melissa threw the penny down such that it left her hand at 35m/s...
a. How fast did Melissa throw the penny in m/hr.
b. How fast will the coin be traveling when it hits the pavement?
c. How long will the coin be in the air?
8. A meteor falls from the sky to the Earth. The meteor already had an initial velocity downward when it was spotted. If it hit the Earth at 335 m/s after being seen for 30 seconds, then what was the initial velocity of the meteor?
9 A police car is at rest at a stop light. The moment the light turns green a Lamborghini rolls up the line with a CONSTANT velocity of 11.6 m/s. At the instant the Lamborghini is next to the police car; the police car begins to accelerate as shown.
a How much time does it take for the police car to catch up to the Lamborghini?
b How much distance is covered when the from the start line to when the police car catches up to the Lamborghini?
c What is the velocity of the police car when it catches up to the Lamborghini?
10 In the Savannahs of Africa a Gazelle is running in a straight line with a constant velocity is 32.15 m/s. A Cheetah is startled by the Gazelle when she runs past. At the instant the Cheetah and Gazelle are side by side the Cheetah accelerates after the Gazelle from rest at 12.00 m/s2.
a How much time does it take for the cheetah to catch up to the gazelle?
b How much distance is covered when the from the start line to when the cheetah catches up to the gazelle?
c What is the velocity of the cheetah when it catches up to the gazelle?
11 Tom, the cat, is chasing Jerry, the mouse. Jerry runs past Tom, the cat, at 10.00 m/s. At the instant Jerry passes Tom, Tom starts from rest and accelerates at 3.00 m/s2.
a How much time does it take for the Tom to catch up to Jerry?
b What is the velocity of Tom when he catches up to Jerry?
c The mouse hole is 2.1 meters from Tom when he began to chase Jerry. Will Jerry make it to the hole without being caught? (Support your answer with numbers.)
12 A Helicopter is hovering when a jet flies past it as shown. The instant the jet flies past the helicopter, it fires a rocket with the acceleration shown.
a The pilot of the jet will wait until the last possible moment to roll the jet from the incoming rocket. How much time does it take for the rocket to catch up to the jet?
b How much distance is covered from where the rocket is fired to where the rocket would catch up to the jet?
c What is the velocity of the rocket when it catches up to the jet?
13 A car starts from rest and accelerates at 0.500 gs from 50.0 m. the car then travels for 8.52 seconds at a constant velocity. It then slows down for 3.12 seconds with an acceleration of 2.50 m/s2.
a What is the final velocity of the car?
b What was the total distance traveled by the car?
c What was the cars final acceleration in gs?
14 A top fuel dragster accelerates from a rest with an acceleration of 5.10 gs. Once the dragster reaches its top velocity of 145 m/s, it travels at a constant velocity for the rest of the 1/4 miles track. How much time did it take for the dragster to travel the length of the track?
15 A bus picks up a passenger and accelerates from a rest at 1.50 m/s2 for 6.00 seconds. After the initial 6.0 seconds the bus accelerates at 2.50 m/s2 for an additional 35.5 m. The bus then slams on the brake and accelerates at - 0.75 gs until it comes to a rest.
a What is the total time for the bus ride?
b What is the total distance covered by the bus?