Click here for an Acrobat file copy of the rules.
HERE FOR ANIMATED STEP BT STEP CONSTRUCTION PLANS
The video can below will show you how to make the basic vortex cannon.
This 10 minute video can be found on YouTube at https://youtu.be/JjJHNcGjkGk
Winner is the person, or team of 2, who successfully extinguishes the most number
of targets. Time permitting, a shoot off may be held in the event of a tie.
- You may use any non-explosive
safe materials to build your acoustic cannon.
- The acoustic cannon will be 15-18
feet from the target -lit candle. Distance is measured from the front of your device to the candles.
- You may place the acoustic cannon
on a table to aim it. Someone else may assist you in holding it if necessary.
- You will get 5 shots alternating
between two candles 15 feet apart
The acoustic cannon must propel
a vortex ring of air at the target.
- No explosives or flammables substances.
- No cartridges of compressed air.
- No compressed air containers. All entries must blow a vortex ring of air at the targets.
- No commercially made devices that shoot vortex rings. Such as, but not limited to, the "Air Bazooka." It must be handmade by you.
- 5 points added to a test for
an entry that meets the contest criteria and does not need any repairs before firing
ALL 5 shots.
- 1 additional point added to a
test for each extinguished candle flame.
- 3 additional points for the two boxes that are decorated with the coolest theme that incorporates the hole.
- During your class period on Monday or Tuesday before the thanksgiving break in room 265.
To see a video of an acoustic
cannon shooting a ring of smoke from a fog machine, click a link below.
Click here for e-mail
by Tony Wayne
by Tony Wayne ...(If you are a teacher, please feel free to use these resources in your teaching.)