- Define "kinetic energy."
- What does a body with kinetic energy look like?
- What does each variable stand for in the equation?
- If the speed of a car is doubled, then how does the new amount of kinetic energy compare to the old?
- A 147 g baseball is thrown at 35.0 m/s. How much kinetic energy does it have?
- A child is swinging back and forth on a swing at a playground, at what part of the child's motion does the child have the most amount of kinetic energy?
- Define the concept of "work."
- How much work is done on you, (mass 50.0 kg,) by gravity while you are standing still on the floor?
- A submarine is propelling itself through the water. Is work done "on" or "by" the submarine? Explain the reasoning for your answer.
- An ice skater has fallen and is sliding across the ice and into the wall. Is work done "on" or "by" the skater as she hit the wall? Explain the reasoning for your answer.
- A basketball is bounced along the ground. Is work done "on" or "by" the ball as it bounces upwards? Explain the reasoning for your answer.
- A 147 g baseball is thrown upwards at 19 m/s. How much potential energy due to gravity does it have when it is 10.0 meters above the ground?
- A 50.0 kg box sits on the incline as shown. It is 5.0 m along the incline. How much potential energy does the box have?
- If the box in the previous problem is moving DOWN the incline at 6.00 m/s at the position shown, then how much gravitational potential energy does it have?
- If the box in the previous problem is moving UP the incline at 6.00 m/s at the position shown, then how much gravitational potential energy does it have?
- From the graph below, next to the number 17, calculate how much work is done for the displacement from 0 to 3 meters?
- Draw an energy flow diagram for a bouncing ball as it undergoes one, complete, bounce. Draw two sets of bar graphs for the ground and apogee. Neglect air resistance.
- What does the "c" in the formula "E=mc2" stand for?
- How is the formula E=mc2 used?
- What does an increase to thermal energy do to the total energy of a "system."
- What is the law of conservation of energy?
- What must be done to change the amount of total energy as the sum of kinetic and gravitational potential energies.
- Define power in a sentence.
- Define the math formula for power.
- What does each variable stand for?
- What is the standard S.I. unit of power?
- What is the power, in S.I. units, of a 6 horsepower lawnmower?
by Tony Wayne ...(If you are a teacher, please feel free to use these resources in your teaching.)